December 15, 2011
What is Ojai Trees? (from the Ojai Trees web site)
We are a local Ojai Valley community forestry group. Our vision is a healthy Ojai Valley community forest that is sustainable for future generations. Our mission is to inspire people to take some personal responsibility for the community forest by participating with us. We are all- volunteer and registered as a non-profit.
How can I participate?
Why are healthy trees a benefit to me?
• Trees mean energy cost savings (cooling & heating)
• Trees increase the resale value of your property and beautify your neighborhood
• Trees provide direct health and social benefits (safer, reduce stress, less violence)
• Trees improve air quality by releasing fresh oxygen and removing carbon
• Trees help the watershed by reducing storm water runoff and stabilizing the soil
• Trees mean better business in commercial districts (shaded parking – attractive)
• Trees encourage walking and outdoor activities, and cool parked vehicles
What about the Ojai Valley’s Community Forest ?
• Ojai’ s community forest is an aging tree population that is in less than average condition.
• We need to plant new trees every year to maintain a balanced tree population. The overwhelming majority of trees (approximately 75%) are on private property, so private property owners are the largest group of stakeholders.
• Ojai’ s community forest has about 17% canopy coverage. Our goal is 25%